Today 30-40% of population faces infertility issues. Among which 40-50% are men. There are many lifestyle and health factors that contribute to this hand in hand. Fertility techniques are a great boon to today’s society.
Let’s focus on the top fertility techniques which are in practice:
IVF (In-vitro fertilisation)
- A fertility technique which involves, removing ova and combining it with sperm outside the body (in laboratory conditions).
- India is said to have the most affordable IVF costs according to a 2018 survey.
- The procedure takes up to 4-6 weeks for egg retrieval.
- The embryo is transferred anytime between 3-5 days later.
IUI (Intrauterine Insemination)
- Sperm is placed inside the woman’s uterus to facilitate fertilization.
- Less expensive and less invasive than IVF.
- This fertility technique is generally used when a lower sperm count is encountered.
ICSI (Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
- Sperm is directly injected to egg.
- A fertility technique considered beneficial than IVF for more than a decade.
- This technique is recommended when there is a severe sperm defect.
It also uses an additional tool – PICSI (physiological ICSI) which involves sperm injection to a mature egg.
Other than these fertility techniques, there are certain tests and methods used to assist these techniques :
- PGS (pre-implantation genetic screening): Done to test if there are chromosomal issues, as a part of IVF fertility technique.
- LAH (laser assisted hatching): Here the opening of embryo is assisted with a laser. It is used when the fertility techniques of IVF and ICSI fail.
- TLM (time lapse monitoring): A fertility technique used to study the developing embryo for stable culture conditions. To increase success rates of IVF and ICSI.
The above mentioned fertility techniques are the techniques which are used today. Each patient is different and hence every scenario should be considered individually. The number of days taken and the treatment on the whole can vary depending on the age and health of the person involved.
About Wannabe Parents
At Wannabe Parents, we are laser-focused on helping wannabe parents put together a personal plan for pregnancy that covers the 5 Pillars of Pregnancy Planning. This is the first time such a program is offered in India. For the convenience of couples, it is offered online in the format of Live Workshops with sessions conducted by experts in their fields spanning across Doctors, Working Mothers, Financial Planners and much more. Do join us for the weekend free Webinars by registering here